After four days, Rachel has biked a total of 110 KM for Youth Psychiatry
- BEWARE THE MID-LIFE CYCLE-CRISIS: Middle age men on bikes are out to prove everything. Let them pass. Once they pass, follow their every move. They will get me through traffic faster than my own facilities.
- THE SUN ATTACKS THE BIKER: The sun targets idiots on bikes. Why? I don't know. It's a crude and essential realization to have about the sun, I don't like it, I always thought the sun was my lover, now I think he's a dick. I have freckles and tan lines, red and brown skin, the look of a woman who obsessively watches her children play soccer. Or, a woman on a bike.
- WHEN THERE IS NO RIGHT LANE, JUST PRETEND LIKE YOU'RE A TAXI CAB: I only 80% know what I mean by this, but if I use this as a mantra while in the thick of Toronto traffic, I don't seem to teeter. I am Taxi. I am Taxi. I am Taxi. I am Taxi.
- CHILDREN RUN: Yeah.
The above can be used as basic guidance through a ride in Toronto traffic, sort of. I'll accumulate more very useful notes as I go.
Other basics I've been swearing by:
5. Cotton hat, no helmet because fuck you it's sweaty and I am dehydrating
6. Slow and steady saves lives on hills
7. Signal for turns. Cars are people too.
I killed the hills these past two days.
I've also quit smoking just to get through the long rides.
Let's do this: 990 KM to go.
Photo evidence below!